Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Sociology Lesson--Don't get ripped off, American.

It was our first “real” full day in Cape Town today. We went to go visit the University of the Western Cape. The University was really influential in providing advocates wishing to end Apartheid. According to Primesh, (if that’s how you spell his name) Mandela, the first democratic president of South Africa and an all around amazing guy, picked a quarter of his Presidential cabinet from staff and faculty at the University. It was also very influential in starting protests around anti-apartheid issues. Last, it was also one of the first sites of resistance against the government sponsored physical segregation called apartheid, i.e. “black” and “coloured” and “other” people couldn’t live in the city, but instead had to live in designated areas that were usually not very nice, by breaking the laws and accepting all people, regardless of race, into their school as it was originally designated for only “coloured” people.

About Primesh, he is a professor at the University of Western Cape in History. He obtained his PhD from the University of Minnesota and is our connection to the University.

Now, about “races” in south Africa. Although these “races” don’t necessarily exist in South Africa anymore because apartheid is over, it is still necessary to explain them. In apartheid, black people consisted of the indigenous black people that were here before Europeans came, e.g. the Khoi Khoi, Khosa, etc. Then there are whites, which consists of British people and Afrikaners. Afrikaners are Europeans that have mixed backgrounds consisting of Dutch, German, French, and Portuguese; although they claim to be the “original” South Africans. Now, Coloured people are of mixed blood, like mestizos. They originate from the interbreeding of the early settlers, Afrikaners, and the native people, but now anyone of mixed bloodlines is considered Coloured. This doesn’t mean that they are dark necessarily because as Primesh stated, “there are Coloured that are whiter than the whites.” There are other “races” here, but the most prominent are Malaysians and Indians.

Sorry, for the sociology lesson, but it really puts into context what’s going on and the society that I am living in. Anyway, today we went to the University and took a tour—a very very eye-opening one I might say. Then we went to dinner. I was rather jet lagged all day. I got up at 7 AM, but my body felt as if it was 1 AM. I fought to stay awake, and now I am planning to go to sleep. Its 11:09 PM here, but my body thinks it’s 4:09 PM.

Oh yes, today I was officially ripped off. I went to get a coffee from our apartment at “Café Mimi,” a cute and cozy shop right downstairs from our place. I was surprised at how friendly and talkative the barista was to me and even more surprised that she was American, although she had never head of a Depth Charge. After a short chat, she said that it would be 42 rand, I quickly gave her a 50 Rand piece and told her to keep the change; she was nice enough and deserved it. However, once I saw Helena, our instructor and told her my story she was shocked and told me to make the calculation to dollars. Let’s see, there are 7 Rands (R7) in 1 dollar, so... Oh crap! In that second, I realized I had been dooped. Another American ripped off! I paid 6 dollars for a coffee. Helena informed me that coffee should never be above R20 (close to three dollars). I was dooped. Lame, but no worries, I am going down there tomorrow and DEMANDING a free drink or else I plan to boycott and leer at them whenever I walk by. Lame!

8 comments:

i miss chewy said...

HAHAHAAH you coffee addict, thats what u get ahaha=) its funny to me you got played like a fiddle by some one u thought was nice. Dont trust nobody specially a pretty face chewy. and thanks for all that history i understood nearly none of it. explain to me more. u seem to be enjoying it.
i love u GRANOLA

lesley said...

I'm drinking a coffee right now and I was duped into giving a really big tip because they were going "out of their way" to run my card even though they have a $5 minimum. See what you're missing in the US?? DRAMA!

Michaela said...

Yay! I am happy you got there safely. I was worried about you all day yesterday. At least they have cute little coffee shops with internet, I seriously can't imagine you ever being in a place without one within walking distance.

Raine said...

tsk tsk - thats crazy about their 'classes', I would get so confused! was the coffee good at least?

Jo said...

I think my daughter from U of MN Morris is on this study abroad tour with the GIHC. Is the Programme Leader Professor Helena Pohlandt-McCormick?

I dropped her off at Middlebrook on Saturday late afternoon and I think it was you that I saw sitting on the curb as she got out of the car...I said something like "Take Care."

Say hello to her and have her send a message via this blog or email!

Mama Lightfeather

Jo said...

I am talking about Bobbi, not the professor...! Bobbi is my daughter!

Mama Lightfeather

Anonymous said...

HaHa!! That really sucks. I hope you go back there and demand a free small coffee. I can totally picture you yelling at that girl. Hehehe.

Nikki

Anonymous said...

go back, order a coffee with steamed milk and a flavor shot, heated to a perfect 147 degrees, then throw it at her. tell her it's a gift from her homeland.

JJ