Monday, June 30, 2008

18+ hours, complete

I am here, FINALLY.

The plane ride was truly murderous. It was not a joke, para nada. It's funny though because it really was easy to forget as soon as I saw Table Mountain in the distance. All of the frustration, my leg cramps, my bursts of anxiety, and the awful food was worth it when I saw the long lines of coast line with that beautiful and astonishing flat topped mountain in the distance. Now, here I am in South Africa. It still is surreal; I can't freaking believe I am here, but I am, and you're not. Jealous? If so, think of the 18+ hours I had to suffer on a cramped seat, that should get you a little less green.

It's funny how similar, yet how different this place is to my "old life." I would say that it is a mixture of Mexico and the United States. The houses, the streets, and the ambiance really reminds me of Mexico. There is no heating, really cool villa type houses, and people randomly walking around, but then its like th US and England because of the accents and the people. It really is very English in culture. I am hoping to get more introduction to the African culture, but come on, it's only been one freaking day.

So far, I am rooming with 5 other guys, sounds like my childhood. Let's hope these don't fart as much as my brothers, haha. We are staying in a part of Cape Town that is historically known to house students, so like a Dinky Town area. It has shops, coffee shops, restaurants, and students everywhere. We are staying in an old Victorian house that has been compartmentalized into different apartments (Dinky Town-ish, right?). Once again, the house really reminds me of Mexico, especially the bathroom and balcony. Tomorrow, we are going to visit the museum where we will be working for the next couple of weeks while in Cape Town. I forgot what it is called...

Pictures to follow soon; I am in an Internet Cafe, another similarity to Mexico, and I can't really put them onto the computer.

3 comments:

lesley said...

Yay! You made it! So happy to hear that the trip is off to a great start. I can't wait for your updates~

i miss chewy said...

Chewy-olio ahah glad to hear from you bbfl (best brother 4 life) esse, ahah. thats wierd how it reminds you of mexico but it isnt mexico unless theirs kids running around throwing firecrackers. Good times huh?well hope you have fun holla at cho boi =)
love you

Raine said...

woot! your alive!