Thursday, July 10, 2008

Culture shot, "double shot" it's all relative

Culture shock really does pop up in very interesting ways. Since I have been in South Africa, which is about 10 days now, I have really been marveled at the similarities in culture. I can get all my favorite foods when I want them; I have most of the same amenities as I did back home; I speak the same language, so for the past week or so I have been feeling very comfortable, until today.

For me, coffee is the nectar of life. I drink it every morning for sustenance, when I need an extra couple hours in my day, and whenever else I have the chance to sit and enjoy a cup. My insides, however, pose a slight restriction on my intake. They are picky because I am very very sensitive to milk and other dairy products, which coffee drinks seem to go with most often. Although South Africa, and specifically Cape Town, is full of coffee shops, very few, actually none so far, carry soy milk, so I am forced to drink my second favorite drink: an Americano (my first is a latté with soy milk). An Americano is simply espresso with hot water. It may sound odd or unappetizing at first, but don’t the best things require an acquired taste? (wine, beer, cheese?).

Anyway, today while at the University of the Western Cape (UWC), I got the biggest urge, both physically and psychologically, to have a nice warm and caffeinated cup of coffee. I grab Candalaya and we head off to the nearest café on block B. As I go up to order, I smile at the woman and ask for an Americano. She simply stares at me for four seconds and then smiles a little. By her bewildered look I can tell that she is unfamiliar with this drink, so I proceed to explain to her the make-up of this seemingly strange concoction. How funny it must have seemed to her that this strange man, seemingly American, wants a drink called an Americano. I really indulged her in the American overtly patriotic stereotype, eek. After explaining the drink to her twice, I gave up and said “can I just have two shots of espresso?” Once again: bewilderment. I thought to myself, “come on, she HAS to know what an espresso is, she’s at a coffee shop for god’s sake!”

After a slight thought, the woman asks me to repeat myself and I do, thrice, in fact, but all to no avail. Then, the most interesting thing happens, she tells me to tell Candalaya what I want, so that Candalaya can tell her. Two things happened right then, I was assumed to be American (or an idiot, but I think sometimes these adjectives are synonymous here) and Candalaya was assumed to be South African. Weird! I am Mexican, hijole! Candalaya goes on to explain that she is not actually South African and doesn’t speak the woman’s native tongue, whatever it was it was not English, that’s for sure. Thankfully a woman behind us told her what I wanted, but to my surprise she did it in English. Apparently it is called a “double shot” here. Whatever.
Well, everything got sorted out. I went and sat down to wait for my coffee; I was happy that the whole episode was over and that I would soon be rewarded with the warmth and caffeine of my “double shot.” Three minutes later the woman hands me my drink, after giggling because I didn’t want any sugar, but I immediately know something is terribly wrong. My coffee is too heavy for two simple shots of espresso. DAMN! I open my coffee to the horrific surprise of white froth. DAMN! She made my “double shot” with milk (which is actually a latté)! As disappointed as I was, I was not going to indulge in another little cultural and linguistic battle with this woman. I paid her the R7 and walked away with Candalaya. As soon as I got out of the coffee shop I cursed. I am not sure who or what. Really, no one is to blame, but damn, I need my coffee.

It is funny that my culture shock has materialized in the form of coffee. Something that has always seemed to bring me comfort is now what has made me the most uncomfortable in South Africa. Not to say that I am desperate to leave simply because of a cup of jo, it is just interesting how the difference between cultures can creep up slowly and then pounce on you when you are the most comfortable. It’s a good lesson both in cultural perception and addition prevention. Culture shock, "double shot" it's all relative.

Your coffee addict,

-Jesús

3 comments:

Raine said...

Hm, that sounds a little fishy to me. first off - is there another word for 'espresso' in other languages, because I thought the word is just Italian, and therefore the universal term for the drink? so if asking for 2 shots (seems pretty clear to 'double shot' which is also a term we use in the States) of espresso, it should be fairly obvious. But maybe she just wanted to be sure you got what you wanted (even if it did get flubbed anyway & maybe just straight espresso is a strange request there?) OR she was giving you a hard time because she assumed you were American. I don't know - but IMO I think it may have been the latter, just because the coffee terms were too easy to be mistaken (again IMO). Bummer on the coffee though, haha, I hope you can find a coffee shop that doesn't drive you nuts. =P

i miss chewy said...

that was very interesting. that lady is dumb. es morena tu amiga que ella penso que hablaba her native tongue?? if she is wouldnt that be racist? or what? anyways u said cup of jo hahaha member when we used to watch rugrats ahaha that remind me of that doesnt it?
have fun playboi dont let "a cup of jo" ruin ur day u addict

The-Pillsbury-Gay-Boy said...

Haha,
Yes, balta, my friend was black, and actually i got the "cup of jo" from rugrats. Glad you caught it! miss you all!